Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ideas for Paintings

Tonight I wanted to post about painting ideas. At various times I will have an idea come to me about a painting that I think may be a good one and I like it and want to paint it and I have learned I have to write that "bit of inspiration" down or I will forget. It has to be something that I can get excited about and think "that would be a great painting!" Many times I have had an idea come to me and I didn't write it down at the time and it was lost to me.

Another thing I have learned to do over the years is to keep pictures of things I have got over the years as a reference for my painting. I have a photo box that is specifically for keeping reference photos for helping me on visualizing something I need to paint. For example, I may need to paint an animal and it is helpful to me to have a photo of that animal to see how the physical structure is made up of the specific animal.

I keep a running list of "painting projects" that I want to do eventually. As I do each project I will cross that one off the list but I am constantly adding to the list so will always have a project that I want to work on. I may work on several projects at the same time.

My advice on this topic is to write down your bit of inspiration for a cool painting project right away so you don't forget what you wanted to do. That way you will have it for when you eventually do the actual painting. It works!

No comments: